Spring is in sight, but the cold is still here.
In order to survive weather like this, it is extremely important to have an effective and functioning heating system in your home. With all of these heating systems being utilized, it is also important to be aware of how to prevent heating hazards that could result in fires. The colder and snowier months are the ones with the highest rates of these incidents.
Read up on how to stay safe and warm in your home during this blizzard, brought to you by Petro Home Services, located on 58th St. in Maspeth.
10 Important Home Heating Safety Tips
- Keep anything that can burn at least 3 feet away from heating equipment, like your furnace, fireplace or portable space heater.
- Plug only 1 heat producing appliance (such as a space heater or portable radiator) into one electrical outlet at a time.
- Keep portable generators away from windows and use them as far away from the house as possible.
- Test your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms monthly
- If you smell gas in your home or coming from your gas heater, do not light the appliance. Leave your home immediately and call your local fire department or gas company.
- Have a qualified professional install stationary space heating equipment, water heaters or central heating equipment according to local codes and manufacturer’s instructions.
- Install wood burning stoves following manufacturer’s instructions or have a professional do the installation. All fuel-burning equipment should be vented to the outside to avoid carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
- Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
- Make sure that your fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks flying into the room.
- Be cautious about your fireplace ashes by: making sure they are cool before placing them in a metal container a far distance from the house (never in a plastic container).
Petro Home Services provides home heating and cooling services in Queens. They cover everything from heating and cooling installations, to equipment repairs and plumbing.
Petro is currently offering $100 in free heating oil.
You can call 1.888.735.5651 for a quote.